Stewart Mader works with transit agencies and policy makers to build better transit. His work spans advocacy to operations, apps to maps, and wayfinding to payment. Mader created the VaxTransit campaign to ensure equity in vaccine access, with more than 580 transit agencies in the US and Canada providing free rides to COVID-19 vaccines, hosting vaccination at transit hubs, and helping bring vaccines into communities.
Mader previously served as the public face of NJ Transit, where he regularly rode with customers to listen to feedback, used video and social media to show customers how a transit system operates, and delivered customer experience improvements including contactless fare payment for light rail, a new website and app user experience, and a metrics dashboard to track performance and reliability for 270 million annual passenger trips.
Mader helped establish PATH Riders Council for the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey’s 80 million annual riders, and served as chair and spokesperson for the 14-person advisory board for four years. He guided a redesign of the PATH map to include regional transit connections, helped launch the RidePATH app with real-time train arrivals, and worked with the MTA to streamline transfers and fare payment on the NYC Subway during construction of PATH’s new signal system.
Mader created the New York & New Jersey Subway Map and Transit Standards projects, and writes about transit policy for Mass Transit, Mobility Lab, New York Daily News, Philadelphia Inquirer, The Architect’s Newspaper, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Network. Mader earned his bachelor’s degree with distinction in chemistry from the University of Hartford, and master’s degree in education from the University at Albany.
He previously worked as a senior executive in Silicon Valley and Wall Street. As Global Head of Digital Strategy, Mader streamlined customer experience at Fitch Ratings to accelerate its market intelligence and e-learning businesses. He transformed CFA Institute with a digital-first learning approach, and built a social media presence named #1 in finance by Association Trends. CQ Roll Call named @CFAInstitute one of 100 Association Twitter Handles You Should Follow.
Mader wrote the book Wikipatterns drawing on his experience as Chief Evangelist for Atlassian, and as a digital strategy consultant to global organizations including Airbus, ICANN, SAP, Thales, and World Bank-International Finance Corporation.
Earlier in his career, Mader led instructional design at Brown University, Emerson College, Long Island University, and University of Hartford. PBS stations aired “Skysight” and “Seeing the Scientific Light”, two NASA Space Grant-funded films he wrote, directed, and edited.
- Need a COVID-19 Vaccine? Visit Your Local Transit Center – Stateline, Pew Charitable Trusts
- How A Free Ride To Vaccine Sites Is Boosting Immunity and Public Transit – Sengerio
- Without a car, getting a COVID vaccine isn’t easy. Here’s what advocates say NJ can do to help – NorthJersey.com
- The Future of Transportation: How Digital Mobility Hubs are Changing the Game – TechTables podcast
- NJ Transit’s Customer Advocate Looks to Improve Communications Between Agency and Its Riders – Transportation Radio
- NJ Transit, Amtrak: New Hudson tunnels needed now to avoid delays – NJ101.5
- Customer advocate is going undercover … with NJ Transit – NJ101.5
- NJ Transit customer advocate meets with riders to tell them about service changes – News 12
- Conversations with Community Managers – The Community Roundtable
- VaxTransit: 450+ Agencies in 41 States Provide Free Rides for Vaccines – Mass Transit magazine
- Getting the COVID-19 Vaccine Shouldn’t Require a Car: The Case for VaxTransit – Mass Transit magazine
- Imagine How COVID-19 Could Reshape Mobility – Mass Transit magazine
- Amtrak One: Joe Biden can Accelerate Economic Recovery by Renewing America’s Rails – Philadelphia Inquirer
- Plan Your Pandemic Recovery Like Caltrain – The Architect’s Newspaper
- Taxes for Transportation Were Well Received – Wall Street Journal
- E-ZPass: Could it Streamline Transit Fare Payment? – Mobility Lab
- Building Bright Signals for the Future of Transit – New York Daily News
- Chicago Transit’s Digital Redesign Offers Blueprint for Transforming Customer Experience – Mobility Lab
- Simplify Things for Customers: A Transit Vision for the Tri-State Region – NorthJersey.com
- Seamless Subway Rides Replace Shuttle Buses, Thanks to Port Authority, MTA Collaboration – Mobility Lab
- Verkehrsverbund: How Germany Standardizes Transit Customer Experience – Mobility Lab